Monday, March 26, 2007

Refilled

This weekend I traveled to Shreveport with several other gals from my women's Bible study group to hear Beth Moore speak. She is an author and has written many Bible studies, several of which we've done in my group. Each study comes with a video of her speaking, and while she's dynamic on video, she's amazing in person. This is the second time I've seen her live, and I enjoyed her even more this year. One of the best things about the weekend is the music. Her praise & worship team led by Travis Cottrell is wonderful! I have the CD Alive and it's one of my favorite CD's to listen to in the car.

This weekend she focused on stones. She started by making the point that we're all living stones built on Jesus, the cornerstone. Then she expanded on the idea of stones with three places in the Bible where stones are held in the hand.
-I Samuel 7:2-12 - Samuel puts a stone between two cities and named it Ebenezer meaning, "Thus far my God has helped me." We might not ever know what tomorrow brings, but we can always say I am here and have gotten through this current tribulation because, "Thus far my God has helped me." Amen!
-I Samuel - David & Goliath is a familiar story to most people, but she put a completely different spin on it. We all have giants to face, and Jesus is our living stone that we can sling at our giants to defeat them. She told us we need to be dangerous in the kingdom of God so we can defeat the enemy.
-John 8 - The Pharisees brought a woman caught in the act of adultery to Jesus to see if he would condemn her. Instead of condemning her, he said if there was anyone without sin that he should be the first to cast a stone. This, too, is a familiar story, but leave it to Beth Moore to relate it in a completely new way. She said we all throw stones every day: we gossip, we give people the cold shoulder, we say hurtful things to those we love. She said throwing stones can feel good because people do wrong us, but it's not our place to punish them. We have to give our stones to God.

I feel really refreshed after this weekend. Being in a convention center with 14,000 women worshipping and praising God will do that to you! I recommend getting involved with one of her Bible studies if you never have - it will be a life-changing experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your week-end. I know it must have been very inspirational. Having watched the video when I visited you, I can imagine how much more dynamin a personal appearance must be. I enjoyed the scriptures you noted and her interpretation of them

Anonymous said...

I've done several and my faves so far are Breaking Free and Believing God. I still pray for God to be HUGE in my life on a consistent basis. She's coming to Columbia in April, but I didn't get tickets. I wish I could've! Just wanted you to know I've been checking daily, but have been so busy I haven't had a chance to comment yet. I can't believe how big Noah is already. I love the picture of him smiling in the Bumbo--he's a real cutie!

Erin said...

I haven't done Breaking Free, but I think we might do it this fall. We did the Daniel study last fall, and it was fantastic! We're finishing up Beloved Disciple (about John) right now. I also loved Jesus the One & Only and A Heart Like His (about David.) They're all great!