Thursday, March 15, 2007

Book review

Here are some good books I've read recently (and some not so recently) that I would recommend:

-The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
This is such an amazing book. It's about a wealthy boy growing up in Afghanistan and his friendship with the son of his father's servant. Parts of it are somewhat violent and a little difficult to get through, but it's so worth it when you finish.

-The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Wonderful! Although the concept, time travel, is science fiction, it's actually a love story at its core. A little confusing at first, but if you stick with it, it, like The Kite Runner is absolutely worth it!

-The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
I just finished this book last night, and it was great. It's about an Indian couple who move to America. They name their first son Gogol, and this name plagues him his entire life. It's well-written and is really touching. A very good read.

-The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
I've read four of her books, and they're all great. They all center on parent-child relationships, but each one is quite unique. The Tenth Circle is about a father and daughter and the lengths to which the father is willing to go to keep his daughter safe. The others that I've read are My Sister's Keeper; Keeping Faith; and Plain Truth. I especially liked My Sister's Keeper.

-Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
A great book about an elderly Chinese woman and the story of her life. Much of the book is focused on a woman's place in late 19th century China and her relationships with everyone in her family. Because foot binding was popular at this time, there is a good bit of detail about this practice which I found quite interesting (although the practice is gruesome.) I really enjoyed this book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reading list. I enjoyed the two you loaned me and I loaned them to Cari. Jodi Picoult has a new book out, "Nineteen minutes" and I'm on the list for it at the library. I liked Plain Truth very much. I could hardly put it down. Thanks for all the info. Have a fun week-end.