Friday, December 23, 2005

Farmer Luke, part 2



I have some family scattered throughout what's known as the metroplex here in Northern Texas. My Nana's nieces and nephew and their children (which makes them cousins of some sort to me) all live within about an hour of us. We went down to Waxahachie today to see my Nana's niece Claudia. Her husband's family owns about 120 acres. They raise longhorns and horses and farm the land. We spent about an hour on the farm today petting the horses, feeding the longhorns, riding the "mule" (that's a little vehicle that looks like a golf cart that they use to take hay around to the longhorns, not an actual mule - since I'm more of a city girl, when Claudia asked if we rode on the mule, I said no since I hadn't mounted an actual animal at the farm, but after everyone had a good laugh they explained that I had indeed ridden the "mule".) The most exciting part for Luke was riding on a real tractor. He even got to plow a little bit. He got a huge smile on his face when John, Claudia's husband, cranked it up. He loves animals and wasn't ever scared. He wanted to pet them all, and I think if we had let him, he would have ridden Star, the horse he's hugging. I've never really cared all that much for farms, but it's amazing how excited I was to go today because I knew Luke would love it. Motherhood sure changes you!

No comments: