Thursday, August 9, 2007

Soccer boy

We are making our first foray into organized sports this fall; Luke will be playing soccer. Yesterday we went to get cleats, shin guards, and a practice ball. This was all completely foreign to me (I've never worn let alone bought cleats in my entire life); luckily I ran into another mom doing the same thing, and she helped me find the right size shin guards. I have to admit that Luke looks very cute in his new sports equipment. He doesn't yet have his uniform, but when we get it I'll take some pictures and post them. While we were looking at the shin guards, I explained to him that they were to protect his legs in case anybody kicks him. He then said, "What happens if someone sneaks up on you and kicks you back here? I guess you just cry." Later that afternoon, he & Gary were outside kicking his new ball, and Gary had him do some drills (he knows nothing about soccer either, so he just had him pass the ball a couple of times and kick it into the goal . . . pretty sophisticated stuff. This is actually a big step for Gary; up until two years ago when we bought Luke a soccer net, Gary stood firm in his belief that soccer was a "communist" sport.) After dinner Luke said he wanted to go outside and do more "drilling". I'm sure there will be many such gems this soccer season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny. Had a good laugh at this blog. It will be interesting when practise starts.

Anonymous said...

Gary and Tom come from the same school of thought. Tom cannot stand soccer! I have caught him playing it with Drew a couple of times; that's what the father/son dynamic will do for you.