Friday, April 20, 2007

Luke's new best friend

Luke becomes very attached to things rather quickly (recall, if you will, Switz the puppy dog.) I try to walk to school to pick Luke up once or twice a week, and on our way home yesterday we found a caterpillar on the sidewalk. Luke picked it up and wanted to take it home. When we got home I told him to put it in the backyard (he wanted to bring it in the house but I had to draw the line on that one.) He put him on the patio and got up about every 10 minutes to go check on his "new best friend". I even caught him kissing him a couple of times. He got a cup of water for him and tried to feed him a leaf. The poor caterpillar stayed rolled up in a ball most of the time, afraid for its life. At one point I heard sobs coming from the backyard, and Luke came in to tell me that his new best friend had "disappeared." It was quite traumatic, so Gary & I helped him search for it but to no avail. As we were looking, Luke saw a roly poly and wanted to adopt it to replace his "pet"; I again had to draw the line and told him he already had a pet. He's so tenderhearted and has a real affinity for animals. I sure wish we could have found that caterpillar, but maybe one day we'll spy him after he's turned into a beautiful butterfly.

The pet

Luke tries to feed a leaf to the caterpiller.


My dad would be proud!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it when you send a blog explaining the pictures. What a sweet boy Luke is. Perhaps he'll be a Vet someday. I'm glad he likes animals and worms. He is so special as is baby brother, Noah.