Monday, September 20, 2010

#1

Oh, my, it just seems so hard to believe that soccer season is here once again. What's even harder to believe is that Luke has been playing soccer for 4 years. Each year he improves, and each year I enjoy watching him more and more. He is by no means the fastest boy on his team, but he's pretty good in his own right. He's a good defender, and he loves playing (which really is the point, isn't it?) He has gotten pretty good at sliding to kick the ball, and even though they're not allowed to do that at this age, it's hard to discourage him from doing something he's good at (and that he'll be allowed to do next season.) He is ultra-competitive when it comes to playing the Wii or playing a board game, but that competitiveness hasn't translated to the soccer field. So when he does show a little gumption and aggressiveness on the field, I'm reluctant to squash it.

OK. The cutest soccer player. Ever. I mean, really. How can you top that?

See #7 (that super-cute #1 is throwing him the ball)? He is good. Really good. Going-to-be-snapped-up-by-a-select-team good. I love watching him play. He has amazing natural talent, and it doesn't hurt that his dad played soccer. I imagine he came out of the womb kicking a ball. Luke readily admits that Kenneth is the best player on the team. He claims the #2 spot for himself.


Here is a soccer side note. I'm not sure if I've ever shared this, but if I have, I think it's funny enough to share again. Up until four years ago, my husband called soccer a "communist sport". He is a die-hard football fan and has never been keen on soccer. Having a son who plays soccer has helped him change his tune a little bit. He even watched the World Cup this summer and got REALLY into it. Just thought I'd let y'all know.


No comments: