Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Elf on the Shelf

We started a new Christmas tradition this year. Saturday night Luke & I read a book called The Elf on the Shelf. The book tells about an elf who shows up and watches the children. He then reports back to Santa all that he saw, both good and bad. He comes back every day, and then when Santa comes Christmas Eve, he goes back to live with him until the next year. There are rules to follow if an elf comes to visit: the first time you find him you have to name him; you can't touch him or else his magic might go away; you can talk to him and tell him what you want for Christmas, but he can't talk back.

Well, lo and behold, the day after we read the book, we had our very own elf! Luke was SO excited when he found the elf. He decided to name him Elfred, and he looks for him every morning. He had a lot of questions when he first saw the elf and said that he looked hard like a doll. Gary and I explained that he looked that way because he had to sit so still when children were around. Later he told me he thought he saw the elf blink and breathe. He stood in the kitchen out of the elf's line of sight trying to catch him moving. He also noticed this morning that even though he's in a new spot every day he's sitting in the same position. I told him it was because that was the most comfortable way for him to sit.

Sunday afternoon he was outside playing with our neighbors and he said to them, "You won't believe it! We have an elf in our house!" Then he brought them in to show them. Each time they went outside I turned the elf so he was facing a different direction. When they'd come back in they would run to see if he had moved and were thrilled to find that he had.

While I love the idea of the elf, I didn't realize I'd have to spin such a yarn in order to answer all of Luke's questions! He has, however, bought the whole thing, kit and caboodle, but I'm afraid he's going to figure out sooner rather than later that the elf isn't real (ditto for Santa.) So, I'm enjoying this year of complete and utter belief.

5 comments:

SandraDin2000 said...

I'm thrilled to see that you've finally started the elf blog!!! Can't wait to read/hear more of how things play out!

Nana said...

What a precious idea. Enjoy these years of complete innocence. They fly by too quickly. Love that Luke thought he saw the elf breathe. Imagination is a wonderful thing. Hugs.

Nana said...

What a precious idea. Enjoy these years of complete innocence. They fly by too quickly. Love that Luke thought he saw the elf breathe. Imagination is a wonderful thing. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I love it! We've never seen that book, but I would only have one that would believe it anyway. It is sad when they stop believing, but we told our girls that when they don't believe in Santa, he doesn't come anymore. That way, we've never had the older ones talk about it to the younger ones. This is our first year where all three of the older girls "know." They really don't even want to go see Santa, but they did for my picture!

Anonymous said...

We don't have the elf, but I told Josie and MArgot that it is an elf that Mommy can buy that has a camera in it. The camera films all behavior so santa can see. Everytime they act up I tell them I'm going to buy an elf. In your house it is fun, but in our house it is scary!! Leave it to me to put the negative spin on a fun tradition.