Monday, May 5, 2008

A big day

I registered Luke for kindergarten today. It's so hard for me to believe that he'll be in kindergarten this fall, and I must admit that I'm a little anxious about it. I'm sure most parents feel this way, especially when they're sending their first child to school. I imagine him being at school all day . . . in a class with 20 other kids, walking down the hall to the cafeteria, buying a school lunch from time to time, getting a report card. Wow! He's so ready to go to kindergarten, and the more we talk about it, the more excited he gets. He was disappointed that we couldn't walk around his new school today, and he's already looking forward to making so many new friends. While we were in the office registering, two of his friends walked by on their way to lunch, and he thought it was so cool to see Tanner and Jake. It seems that the transition is going to be harder for me than for him (as it should be.) This afternoon he spent some time writing so he could practice for kindergarten. Anyone who knows Luke knows he likes to be prepared, so it's no surprise that he's already thinking ahead to the fall. Maybe if I start practicing now, too, I'll be ready in the fall to let him go.

4 comments:

Nana said...

I'm sure with God's help both of you will survive the separation. Very, very normal to have those anxieties.

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking about you on Luke's first day. You can think about me too...it will be Julia's first day in middle school. I'm NOT looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to my neighbor about this. We're going to do 5K for Drew next year at Rosewood. It is a big step, thinking of not seeing them for a huge portion of the day and I keep wondering how I'm going to handle it. The thing is, I know Drew's going to be fine. I just don't know about me.

Anonymous said...

I just signed up Margot yesterday and I cried! Josie did 1/2 day church kindergarten, but Margot is going to the public school - all day long. I'll have 2 school aged kids - hard to believe. We'll have to cry via email next school year.