Friday, March 24, 2006

Switzerland pictures

On Wednesday everyone on the trip went to a dinner in one of the hotel ballrooms. As you can see, it was more of a dressy dinner, and I loved wearing my new dress. I felt like I was getting ready for the prom!
We toured Chillon Castle, which was built in 1260, on Thursday. I loved teaching The Canterbury Tales, and since it's set during the Middle Ages, I really enjoyed the castle tour.
On Friday we took a three-country tour which took us from Switzerland into Italy and then France. On the way to Italy we stopped in St. Bernard for coffee and a croissant. We got to take pictures with a couple of real St. Bernards. There was so much snow in St. Bernard, and although it was quite cold, the scenery was beautiful. It's the best coffee break I've ever had.
Here we are in the town square of Aosta Italy. It's a little hard to see us, but you can clearly see the Alps in the background. Our time in Italy was short, but it was long enough to walk through the town, grab a quick cup of coffee (which was VERY strong according to Gary), and buy some Italian cookies. The most interesting thing about Aosta was the bathroom I used. It was outside of a pastry shop, and when I walked in, there was no toilet to be seen - there was just a hole surrounded by porcelain in the ground. I figured when in Aosta . . .

This is Chamonix, France, and it was the last stop on our three-country tour. Chamonix was absolutely breath-taking! The entire town is surrounded by the Alps, and you can see Mont Blanc from here as well. Gary and I thoroughly enjoyed our time here. It was picturesque and quaint - you felt like you had stepped into a storybook.

No comments: