Saturday, March 25, 2006

Big boy bed

Well, we finally made the move to the toddler bed this week. Everyone I talked to said to keep Luke in the crib for as long as we could, and I think if we hadn't moved him, he would have gladly slept in it till he was 12. He only tried to climb out once and was always lying there waiting for us in the morning. But a few weeks ago as I hoisted my 35-pound-child into the crib, I thought, "OK, that's it - time for a bed he can get into himself!" So this week was the week for change.

I got the bed and put it together Tuesday while he was at school. When he came home I told him I had a surprise for him in his room. I thought he would be a little more excited about it than he was; he just stood there and looked at it for a minute and then said, "Is there anything else?" I ignored his ungratefulness (who wouldn't love a bed as a present?!?) and talked up the big boy bed. He didn't want to get in it at all that afternoon, but that evening once he realized he could get in it all by himself, he thought it was pretty cool. He was a little unsure about sleeping in it and did cry for about 5 minutes Tuesday night, but then he gave it up and fell right asleep. He's been staying in it all night and waits for me to come get him in the morning. We left the crib up in case he really balked at sleeping in the new bed, but we took it down this morning (with his blessing, of course), and he has said several times this week how much he likes his new bed. So all in all, this transition went pretty smoothly.
As you can see, we didn't get rid of any of the stuff that was in the crib. It's a little more crowded in the new bed with all the stuffed animals and books, but he finds a little spot right in the middle to sleep in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Luke, on being such a big boy!