Monday, February 6, 2006

Bunny love

Most of you know that Luke's favorite "loveys" used to be his monkey and a blankie. We still take them to church and to school, and we can't go to bed without them, but monkey has been replaced by someone new, a small white bunny. I have washed monkey several times, and Luke never cared. He has never been particular about his blankie either, which is just one of his many old burp cloths. A few times a week I'll tell him to put his blankie in the hamper so I can get him a new one, and he's never upset about it. Bunny, however, has brought a new challenge to our lives. Luke is extremely attached to Bunny; he calls her his best friend and talks to her all the time. He kisses and hugs her throughout the day, and when she gets sad, he's the first one to cuddle her to make her feel better. His love for Bunny far surpasses anything he ever felt for monkey.

Because Bunny is white, she tends to get dirty. I washed her once before, and Luke didn't put up much of a fuss. This morning, however, was a different story. I started a load of laundry as soon as Luke got up, and I asked if he wanted to wash bunny. He said yes, but then he balked at the idea of putting her in the washer. He finally relented, but as soon as she was in the washer, the water works started. He wailed for about ten minutes, and kept telling me he wanted to get her out. The washer was running, so we were past the point of no return, and all I could do was try to distract him until she was dry. He survived the 25 minutes she was in the washer, and he even put her in the dryer so she could get dry. When I went to check on her load, he came with me, and thankfully she was finally dry. I got her our and gave her to him, and he exclaimed, "Bunny, Bunny, you're clean!" He hugged her and kissed her and was thrilled to have her back. A few minutes later, he was lying on the floor in the hallway with bunny on his chest, talking to her. Then he read her a book, and he hasn't put her down since. Oh well, I'm sure it's just a phase . . . hopefully he won't take her to college with him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't they do and say the most hysterical things? And, I meant to comment on this earlier, but I can't believe you're going to Switzerland!