Monday, September 10, 2007

Soccer game #1

Luke played in his first soccer game last Saturday. Let me just give a run-down of what happened.

-Every child in McKinney was at the same soccer fields as Luke. We parked about 8 miles away, and as I was getting all our stuff in the stroller, I felt something on my foot. I looked down and my feet were covered in fire ants. Not good.


-We got to the fields and were looking for Luke's team, but all we saw were football teams. I knew we were at the right place, but what I didn't know (because I didn't read the directions - typical) was that there were two different areas. We obviously were at the wrong area, and Luke's game was supposed to start in about 2 minutes. Gary picked him up, slung him over his shoulder, and ran the quarter mile or so to Luke's field. He made it with about one minute to spare. Meanwhile, I'm hauling myself, 3 bags, the stroller, and Noah back to the van (which is 8 miles away). I threw everything (except Noah) back into the van and went to the other fields. I couldn't find them, so I called Gary in a panic. I finally found them and got to Luke's game right after they started. Luckily Luke didn't play first so I didn't miss his debut.


-Now on to the game. I'll go ahead and end the suspense right now and tell you that Luke's team didn't win . . . not by a long shot. The final score was a lot to a little.


-The boys on Luke's team basically had no idea what to do. A couple of boys had more of an aggressive instinct than Luke did, and they carried the team (although one boy did score a goal for the other team.) Luke ran after the other boys and kicked the ball a couple of times. Only 5 of the 6 boys were there, so they all played a good deal, especially after one of the 5 boys decided he no longer wanted to play and went and sat with his mom. After 3 quarters, Luke kept asking how much longer he had to play. I think his favorite part was the snack at halftime and the juice and crackers after the game.


-Overall I think he had fun, and now that they've played a game it'll be easier for Coach Dan to explain at practice what they need to do. Here are a few pictures of the Power Rangers in action.

No comments: