Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scattered

Despite the title of my last post, I'm not a big fan of change. It doesn't really matter, though, because change, it it a-comin'. Since I was pregnant with Noah, Gary and I have planned to have the boys eventually share a room (that was assuming Noah was a boy which, in fact, he is.) Now that Noah is in his toddler bed, the next step is to move Noah into Luke's room and to turn Noah's room into a play/scrap room. Sounds easy, right? Not so much. I spent several days last week going through the 10+ boxes of teacher stuff I brought with us when we moved here. They were in the closet in Noah's room, and it was essential to pare them down if we are to use that room in a different way. It was a blast to look at all the things I saved, but I now have enough distance from teaching that I was also able to see that much of what I kept I didn't need. So I whittled the 10 boxes down to 5. Hooray for me!

After we got Noah in the toddler bed, I put his crib and changing table on Craig's List. Last night a couple expecting their first baby came and bought them. I have no dresser to put Noah's clothes in, so they're on the floor in his room, and all the toys that were previously under the crib and, therefore, mostly unnoticeable, are in a pile in his room. I knew I couldn't live like this for long. Luke happens to be home sick from school today. He's running a low-grade fever, so he's not so sick that he needs my constant care and attention which freed me up to do something else. So I decided to use this forced stay-at-home day to be productive. I went through the toys in Noah's room and got rid of a lot and put the others in the toy chest in Luke's room (after cleaning it out first.) I sorted through most of Luke's closet and some bins with miscellaneous toys. I have a large pile of toys and books to take to the church for the nursery there, and I threw a lot of other stuff away. I love throwing stuff away!

I guess I'm just rambling now. The point is that I feel like it is now possible to turn Noah's room into a play room. The best part, for me anyway, is that I'm going to get a desk to put in there that I can scrapbook on. Any time I want. Without having all my stuff scattered all over the dining room. My very own little spot in this house dominated by boys and boy stuff. I will post pictures when the transformation is complete. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray for a creative space!

i have to confess that after moving three times since i left good old dhs, I have gotten rid of every single teaching thing. it was hard but i got so sick of lugging that stuff from house to house.

Nana said...

Love to read about what is going on in the Chumley household. It is amazing how much "stuff" we accumlate in life. Glad you are getting things done for the next big adventure - putting the boys in the same room. Awaiting the next developments. Hugs.