Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yikes!

It seems as though we are under a severe thunderstorm warning every other day around here, but we experienced something brand new last night. About 7:30 we were in the middle of a second round of thunderstorms; there was plenty of thunder and lightning, but nothing nearly as severe as some of the storms I've seen here. Gary was in Noah's room reading books to him, and Luke and I were in the living room watching TV when I heard the loudest, closest crack of thunder I've ever heard and saw a bright flash of light. Luke & I ran to the front of the house to try to figure out what happened. Gary said he thought lightning might have hit the house. We soon discovered it hadn't, thank goodness, but our neighbors told us they saw the bolt that nearly hit the house. Regardless of what the lightning hit, it did some damage. Here's a list of the things in our house that are no longer working and where they are located in our house:

-Internet & phone (OK, these are working now, but it's only because the AT&T guy just left about 30 minutes ago, but the lightning fried the modem last night): Gary's office
-the printer in Gary's office
-one of our garage door openers (OK, this is working now, too, but it was out for a while)
-the HVAC system
-the base to our cordless phone that was in our living room (the lamp that was plugged into the same outlet, however, is fine)
-DVD player in our living room (the TV and satellite dish that are plugged into the same power strip are undamaged)
-the Wii in our living room

Even though we could potentially have to spend thousands of dollars to fix/replace these items, I'm so thankful that we're not having to replace our entire house. I think we got very lucky that the house didn't get struck. I told Luke this morning that our neighbor saw the bolt that nearly hit us and that God was watching out for us because the house didn't get hit, and he said it was because God put a force-field around our house. I agree.

We were all on edge last night, and neither one of the boys fell asleep until nearly 9:00. Gary is pretty stressed today, trying to figure out ways to fix some of this stuff, and I'm still trying to understand why some things got damaged when others didn't (I'm sure I'll never figure this one out!) I'm just glad I still have a roof over my head and a working computer!

1 comment:

Nana said...

Thank goodness God has force fields. Can't imagine how scary it must have been to think your house had been hit. Even though some things aren't working right, it is a blessing that your house wasn't hit. A friend in FL had his house hit and it blew every outlet right out of the walls. Storms are scary. Hope all will soon be working. Hugs.